Sunday, October 24, 2010

Today's Entertainment News...

I need someone to explain to me what the fascination is with Megan Fox. Cause clearly, I don't understand it. Allegedly, she's hot and sexy and all that jazz. To me she looks kinda gross. Fake big lips, pale white skin, weird looking face. Why is she the new "it" girl? I find her to be devoid of talent and looks. I guess because for black folks, full luscious lips are kinda standard so I'm not impressed. So are big asses...not that she has one, does she? I don't know. I watched that "horror movie" (and I use the term as loosely as I can) Jennifer's Body, and it was the stupidest thing I've seen since Showgirls. Watching her act is like having bad sex--you find yourself wondering when it'll be over, and fighting back the urge to fake a seizure to bring about it's end. She makes my eyes water in much the same fashion as Lady Gaga does.

I think what it is, truly, is that I'm not a fan of talentless acting. It makes my skin crawl and I just can't abide by it. I believe I addressed the issue in my last entertainment posting, but I can't help but comment on things like this when I come across pictures and/or postings online or in magazines about these people. Facebook had an ad for Ms. Fox, I'm sorry, Mrs. Brian Austin Green and one of my cousins clicked "like" for her, and I found my eyes rolling from side to side on their own. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I'm being too hard on Mrs. Green--but I doubt it.

I introduced my friend to one of my favorite tv shows The Tudors. Now it's not the most historically sound drama on television, fairly though because Michael Hirst (the writer of both Elizabeth movies--Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age) is a stickler for that kinda stuff and it's beautifully dramatic and entertaining. We watched seasons 1 & 2 in two days, naturally I own the complete series but after awhile, I think she needed a break even though she told me she is totally in love and addicted to it. I coulda watched the whole thing without leaving the apartment. But I'm telling you this because after watching the show, we went to see the play Anne of the Thousand Days at a Shakespeare playhouse downtown. And it sucked. The thing was written sometime ago, like when my mom was a kid so the dialogue was dated, and it was thoroughly over acted. I mean there was a lot of breathing in exasperation, throwing up of hands, walking aimlessly around the stage for no reason, excited running around from person to person on stage, and just general hysterics. I hate that people feel this is normal when doing a period piece, particularly a Shakespearian period piece. It's so distracting. Now, even though the main chick, Anne Boleyn, is in no way, shape, or form, comparable to Megan Fox in the looks department (attractive to some is what I mean cause I don't find either one pretty), she was getting fairly similar reviews. Meaning she was lauded with praises of exceptional performances and whatnot. After the show, I bolted from the room. Couldn't get out fast enough. My friend asserted that we are Tudors snobs, and I thoroughly agree.

And I make no apologies for my snobbery. I earned my MFA in this area and that affords me the right to be snobbish when it comes to good acting. I hate that a pretty face is supposed to take away from talent. And since Lady Gaga's face is routinely hidden from view, it's hard to tell if she is indeed pretty. I venture to say NO. She's my favorite whipping girl because I find her to be a one woman suckfest of epic proportions. And Megan Fox as well. She's like vegan ice cream. What's the point? The acting equivalent of cardboard. I hope she does better in her role as Mrs. Green than she has in all of her movies combined. Time will tell on that one I guess, but I see her renegotiating that deal in a few years and flying solo soon after. That's all for now. Till next time, lovers!

2 comments:

  1. Lady Gaga is not pretty. That is why she has to resort to these outlandish outfits (a meat dress... really???) to make a name for herself. And she is totally manufactured, this is not her 'personal style.' Her record label told her she had to do this to make up for (or detract from?) her lack of beauty, basically. Which is a shame because she actually does have a good voice and raw musical talent. There was a New York magazine article on that discusses it. She used to wear sweatpants to the studio before they transformed her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah when the whole thing with her ex boyfriend/producer on this debut album hit and he sued her for royalties, they showed pictures of her back then and she was totally normal looking. Brown short hair and sweats. That's why when my uncle, who's a musician, was trying to tell me how masterful she is and that she needs credit for being a songwriter, I refused to cave. She's totally manufactured and that's what I object to.

    ReplyDelete